Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Downton Abbey--- I overheard that!

I have done it again! Those darn Brits and their series (how do you spell the plural of series?) getting you hooked and then making you wait. It all started long ago with Harry Potter. I started reading when book 4 was out but finished them a month before book 5

Man, I thought that was a wait... Little did I know about waiting on J.k. Rowling!

Netflix pulled me in to Downton Abbey. I don't know where or from whom I heard it but the British subliminals must have worked because I just saw the series and knew it was good and for me. I got Jenn Duckworth hooked and my husband ostracized as we flew through the first season and on to the second. But now it's over.

It really is fantastic! There is just something so great about proper people acting foolishly... Especially with that British accent. It's funny how we have no stake in the characters wealth or position or reputation but we entangle ourselves in it and become
Loyal to them. Jane Austen has also trained us well in the skills of smelling scandal a mile away. We yell audibly at the characters, "Don't you know you'll never get a good husband and your family will be left with nothing if you risk your honor by sleeping with that guy?!"

Sigh.

It's good though. Check it out. In the meantime search YouTube for the SNL digital parody they did of the show as if it were part of Spike Tvs fall lineup!

No comments: