Saturday, March 8, 2008

New TV I love!

New television for me has been BBC America's "Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares." This awesomely aggressive British man travels around to restaurants in the UK helping failing businesses by critiquing the management, changing the menu, suggesting great ideas and chewing everyone out. I love it but most of the dialogue consists of bleeped British curses.

Ramsey really does a great job bringing the thunder and saving these businesses. It just reminds me that people HATE being corrected. They take everything so personally. It is just business. Anyone watching can see that Ramsey is right but the chefs sometimes go back to their old bad habits as soon as Ramsey leaves for a few months.

This week at our New Member small group we talked about the heart attitude "Give and receive spiritual correction." The book of Proverbs is oozing fabulous warnings about wise men taking rebukes but these people just don't get it. This guy is an expert!! Listen to him!

I just wonder if I were in the same position if I would respond the same way. I want to respond like a wise man. I want to change when presented an opportunity.

Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares just reminds me of how dumb we look when we are stubborn about our own points of view and refuse to listen to the wise. There is no benefit in putting your own pride and interests first. AGH!

If you get BBC America, I encourage you to check it out.

Other BBC favorites:

How Clean is Your House?- Two ladies infiltrate super dirty houses throughout the UK. The show mostly focuses on Hoarders (which I think is fascinating!) and takes them through the whole process of cleaning out their lives. The most shocking part is when one of the ladies takes swabs from the kitchen and bathroom and checks for the size of the bacterial populations there and what types are there. It is disgusting and makes me get off my tush to clean.

You are What You Eat- Another lady (can't recall her name) confronts people who are killing themselves with their diets. She puts them on a vegan diet for a few months and watches them drop the pounds. I really like it when they refer to how many "stone" they have lost. Apparently a Stone is 14 pounds. I have no idea why this is a common expression in the UK but I hear it often. I usually have to do the math or I go crazy trying to figure out the result. Very entertaining!

Cheerio!


No comments: